Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Discussion with a brother

Forgive me brother but one thing you stated I must disagree with.

You said: “I very much agree that fear is a bad choice to draw people unto the Lord.”

If it was not for a healthy fear; who pray tell, would turn from their wicked ways. As we discussed earlier evil is in the heart of the child and the rod of correction is needed to drive it from them. And may I say from all of us. This is done in a large part by the fear of pain, or discomfort of some sort; in short, correction.

Proverbs 1:5-9
5. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
6. To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

He will seek out wise counsels because he is acting in a wise manner. You know this is the same reason you are in this class.

What is it you ask that makes him wise, wait for it here it comes.

7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge (wisdom): but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
8. My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
9. For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.

Now does this apply to the Old Testament time only? I think not. I believe it does assume though, that your parents are following God. But the big picture here as I see it, is that with fear comes wisdom. And because God is great then I will equate that with greater fear comes greater wisdom.

Only wisdom and happiness can come to the man who is in awe of God. To think of His majesty, or as it was termed when I was young, His “awful greatness”. These words seem to have lost something over the years.

We should fear Him because of “His ineffable holiness, His perfect righteousness, His irresistible power, and not the least, His sovereign grace.” Only one who is so truly great can be so truly full of grace.

Today people say that it is only those outside His grace who should be in fear of Him, foolishness I say. Those who are in Christ are admonished to work out their own salvation with "fear and trembling."

There was a time and not so long ago that men who believed on Him were said to be "God-fearing men." Sadly this label has become rare and if used only as scorn.

Remember these wise words from the Psalms, 103:13, “Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.”

If a man has a healthy Godly fear it is not a servile fear he has. Servile meaning that you are too willing to agree with somebody or to do anything, however demeaning that the one above wants. Like that of the heathen with the worship of their gods. (This is not in the nature of our God.)

The meaning is that the humbled spirit the Lord pledges to bless or exalt is the spirit Isaiah spoke of, 66:2, “My hands have made both heaven and earth; they and everything in them are mine. I, the Lord, have spoken! I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts, who tremble at my word.” And Peter wrote, "Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king" (I Pet: 2:17).

So I say again, fear is what makes men fall before our Great and Terrible God. My fear of Him is also what brings me to love Him so. Imagine the only true God, awesome and great; that He is being merciful and loving to someone like me. “Amazing love, how can it be that you my king would die for me? Amazing love, I know it's true it’s my joy to honor you.”

1 comment:

Jim Hrubik said...

Amen, Brother! Job 28:28, "The fear of the lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding."